Mrs. Kristin Boyle
Welcome to Fifth Grade!
Fifth grade is a busy and exciting place to be! We will be working hard to prepare ourselves for middle school while still having fun! Here is what we will be studying:
- In religion class we will be focusing on learning about the Sacraments of the Church. We will also be working as stewards of the earth by helping sort cans and bottles, and we will be serving others with the Meals on Wheels program and through visiting Courtyard at Mt. Tabor.
- Math in 5th grade focuses on work with decimals, fractions, and beginning algebra skills. We will also be strengthening our multiplication and division skills as well as studying geometry. This year we also will be problem solving!
- In language arts, we will increase our writing, grammar, and reading skills. We will be reading and writing quite a bit this year, working from many different sources, such as short stories, novels, and nonfiction. The fifth grade is also participating in the Battle of the Books.
- Social Studies has us deepening our map skills by studying the history and geography of the United States. We learn about the Age of Exploration and its effect on society today. We live through the founding of the colonies and study the people and events of the American Revolution.
- In science class we will be doing lots of hands-on activities on the solar system, weather, living systems, and force. We will also be attending OMSI science camp in the spring!
As you can see, we will be busy! I look forward to all that is to come this year.